Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Here It Comes

...THE STRONGEST OF A SERIES OF STORMS WILL AFFECT THE REGION FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT BRINGING HIGH WINDS AND HEAVY SNOW....SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE DANGEROUS AND POSSIBLY LIFE THREATENING WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...MAKING TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE ACROSS SIERRA PASSES. - www.weather.gov/reno

Life threatening eh? This reminds me of all the times I have had to sign those competition disclaimers that read statements like this: "Boardercross is a dangerous and potentially life threatening sport. I hereby promise not to sue that crap outta this mountain or the United States Snowboarding Association if my participation in this race results in serious injury or death, broken teeth, the need for facial reconstruction, and total loss of all pleasure or ease in such simple acts as walking and bending over when I am 57, if I am to actually reach such an age ." I find those hard to sign, at times, depending on how hung over I am of course. Sometimes it's just amusing.

The first big storm is coming, and I feel like we're going into bomb shelters up here. My friend, my roommates, even my dog (you better take your crap now buddy) are preparing - stocking up on food, movies, lot and lots of condoms, er, and, good books. Yes, good books. It's annoying and it's stimulating to be both victim and victor to the lashing of the weather again. Stuck inside while 110 mph winds blow through the whiteout, and riding the 8 feet of fresh snow down the mountain when it's done. RIDERS ON THE STORM. In San Francisco, there are two seasons: Foggy and Not Foggy, High 72° Low 52°. November, May, whatever - I often forget what month it is when I'm walking down the street on a sunny day in that city. Hawaii is the same, roughly, except for the size of the waves.

If I write again, you'll know I didn't make the mistake of driving through the LIFE THREATENING Sierra Passes on my way to get my nails done. If not, well, it was a good run, but not that good. I never have climbed a palm tree to its top with my bare feet and hands - one of my life goals. Sad.

I've got to make it to the spring.

1 comment:

jason evans said...

hope you make it to your flight on wednesday...